Monday, September 5, 2011

Archira Thai & Sushi - AVOID!



We had previously had relatively good experiences at Archira (3 to 4 star)- but maybe it was too early on a long weekend, or just something has gone horribly wrong with the restaurant. Clue #1 should be the shredded menus... to make some wholesale edits to something.

Everything we had was disgusting. We have high standards for sushi and Thai food (don't get me started on the embarrassment Thai Palace caused me for visitors from the DOJ in DC a few years ago).

The sushi we were served though visually appealing (and the fish was fresh), was made with some of the most disgusting rice I've ever tasted in sushi. Even Harris Teeter sat around all day rice is better tasting. Clearly, some kid mixed it up with his playdough; they had the same consistency. I felt sick for hours afterwards. Even the salmon skin roll - below - was as if someone had scraped paint chips off the wall. I think one is supposed to REMOVE the scale.




Well, it doesn't end there. Next, insult to injury - the Tom Yum Kai tasted as if someone had simply used some random mix - actually, the majority of store bought mixes taste better. It had no of the breadth or subtleties that I would expect.

Lettuce wraps? No sir, I didn't ask for a wedge. I want lettuce to WRAP things in. Too salty, etc. not even worth discussing.

Thai Iced tea? Would you like some orange food color with your condensed milk? What tea flavor?

Coconut Shrimp - can you say undercooked? The batter inside was still runny.



The waiter was at least trying to helpful - to his credit. But so is my son when he is serving his pretend playdough and plastic food.... and I still only pretend to eat it. Best part is, he knows the food he is serving is fake. Sorry Archira, we are never going back... maybe with a new sushi and kitchen chef? 


Archira Thai & Sushi
East 54
2110 Environ Way
Chapel Hill, NC 




No comments:

Post a Comment